Friday, September 10, 2010

Recount Text and Simple Past Tense

TEACHING RECOUNT TEXT and its relation with the Simple Past Tense

Since I teach a huge class, then I need to think of making the lesson interesting to my students. Teaching the genres of text is quiet difficult for my students, that is why I should prepare everything in order to have it run well. And it takes additional time to have the students understand what Recount Text is.

• Teacher provides a recount text from sources teacher found in the internet or from an English text book. (The text should be an interesting story so that it catches the students attention)
• Teacher should remember that Recount Text tends to go to the simple past tense (make sure whether the teacher have had the students understand about Tenses or not) it is really important.

I firstly wish my students recognize what simple past tense is. I do it back and forth from the recount text I give to the students to the tense itself.

1. Teacher gives the students a copy of recount text (the one with the blank spaces between the passages

Recount Text (This is the full version)
On Sunday evening we had a party. My uncle and my aunt came to my house. They brought some coke to my house. They brought some coke and flowers for my grandpa. We sat together in our living room. My dad said a beautiful prayer. Then we sang ‘Happy Birthday’ and my grandpa blew out the candle. He cut the cake and gave it to everybody in that room. He opened his present and he was very happy with the shirt. Finally, my grandma told us some stories about my grandpa.

And…(make an incomplete version of the reading text for the students)
For example:

On Sunday ____1___ we had a ___2___. My uncle and my aunt came to my ___3___. They brought some coke to my house. They brought some coke and ___4___ for my ___5___. We sat together in our ___6__. My dad said a beautiful __7____. Then we sang ‘Happy Birthday’ and my grandpa blew out the candle. He cut the cake and gave it to___8___in that room. He opened his present and he was very __9___with the shirt. Finally, my grandma told us some ___10___ about my grandpa.

2. Teacher asks the students to listen carefully to the teacher while the teacher reading the full text.
3. Teacher asks the students to fill the blank spaces on the papers.
4. Teacher repeat reading the text if necessary.
5. Teacher discusses the answer with the students.
6. Teacher retells what the story is about
7. Teacher asks the students to find the difficult words and asks them to find them in the dictionaries
8. Teacher asks the students whether they find Regular and Irregular verbs in the dictionary.
9. Teacher starts explaining the past tense verbs the students found from the text such as (had,came, brought, etc.)
10. Teacher continues the lesson about recount text and its relation with the simple past tense.

(note: teacher may also add some question based on the lesson given. (Recount text or simple past tense)
(note: don’t forget to explain the students about the structures in the Recount Text)

No comments: